Friday, July 2, 2010

Ms FootyNut: End of World Cup Means Loss of Interest For Average Fans


It seems like the topic of the week is whether or not this 2010 FIFA World Cup had any lasting effect on US soccer's fan base.

IMHO I agree with Mr FootyNut's post that it may grab a converted fan or two, but I don't think it will reach a critical mass of any sort. I speak from experience in this as I was enamored with the World Cup while "my teams" (USA and England) were still in it. But as soon as they were eliminated I found myself dramatically less interested in the game. I'm sorry, Mr. FootyNut, but I have no desire to watch MLS or EPL games (unless I'm in the stadium).

In fairness, I have no desire to watch any other sport - unless it's a major competition...and most of the times not then either. Basicallym yes, I will only watch sports on television during the Olympics and now, World Cup. So, for a few weeks, every few years. But unlike even those who are annually dedicated to the Final Four, the Superbowl etc, my interest in sports in general do not go that far.

I think Americans who actually like watching sports on television, and who also watched this year's USMNT (US Mutant Ninja Turtles!!) may have a higher conversion rate. However, I don't get the impression that the t.v. networks (sports based or otherwise) are going to help fuel the Slightly Interested into becoming Super Fans. I think part of it boils down to accessibility to the game. If you show it, they might watch. If you don't...well, you get it. I would guess that someone with a friend (or partner) who is obsessed with footy is more likely to convert because they have a leader.

I also think fans of other sports are annoyed by blatant dives and become bored by what can be considered low-scoring games. Teams like Germany and Argentina have had higher scoring games recently and - on paper at least - that could be seen as more exciting. But during the group stages, the teams were more concerned with not losing than they were with winning so they settled for draws more often than in the later stages.

I'll conclude by saying that it will take time for me to become a Super Fan all year 'round, not just quadrennially. I think that will be true of most lay people who watched this World Cup.

In case you missed it, Ms FootyNut is guest blogging here to give a layperson's view of soccer and the World Cup.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stateside Soccer reserves the right to delete any comment the staff deems to be offensive, profane or the result of spamming. Comments on posts older than a week are subject to approval.