Friday, June 11, 2010

Contributing Blogger - Meet MsFootyNut


Hello Blogosphere, I’m so pleased that Mr. FootyNut has invited me to blog with him. He thinks my perspective as an "outsider" may be amusing. I think he's barking, but if you bear with me, you can be the judge.


To give you some background, I was never a huge fan of soccer. I played in elementary school, sure. I spent many semesters and summers in the UK as a young adult and thought I would very much like to understand soccer, but I never made the effort. Then when Mr. FootyNut revealed he was a fanboy, I knew it was all about to change. I can’t really call myself a huge fan now, but I watch the important games and I cheer when a team scores, and yell when they get fouled or robbed of what was obviously going to be the most spectacular shot evar!! And I try really hard to understand the idiosyncrasies of the off-side rule.


As Mr. FootyNut previously wrote, his head exploded on June 5th when the USA met Australia. While I too have a mushy place in my heart for that continent "down under", my head stayed intact. It was just a friendly after all. However, this will all change tomorrow when the US meets England.


I guestimate that more than half of my heart lies with England. In 2006, ROOTS had a sale of all the World Cup stuff (after it was all over) and I bought an England t-shirt. I don't even remember if they had a USA one made! And this year, when purchasing some fan gear in preparation for this little tourney, I chose an England scarf over the US scarf – if only 40% because it was easier to find!


Don’t get me wrong, I really want the US to do well in this race. I really want to show our country that soccer does matter!! But on the other hand, England deserves to win again. It's been a long time, and they're more likely to go all the way to the finals than anyone else in C group – did I also mention I'm of Arab heritage and am secretly routing for Algeria too? I'm a complicated woman. Slovenia, you’re on your own.


Anyway, this ain’t no friendly game of footie here!! This counts towards that shiny gold thing Morgan Freeman is so fond of! So on Saturday afternoon I may be the only one in our pub supporting the "limeys" over the "yanks" and I'll just have to be ok with that.

Cheers.

2 comments:

MsFootyNut said...

Oh, also, I *know* that's the UK flag, not just England's. But beggars can't be choosers at 11pm and you're falling asleep in front of the computer.

Stateside Soccer said...

@MsFootyNut Fixed.

Post a Comment

Stateside Soccer reserves the right to delete any comment the staff deems to be offensive, profane or the result of spamming. Comments on posts older than a week are subject to approval.