Friday, June 25, 2010

Stateside Soccer's World Cup Round of 16 Predictions, Featuring Ms. Footynut!


In light of the less than flawless results from my World Cup Group predictions (one measure of success has me at 56% for correctly predicting which teams will get out of the group), I have decided to bring in guest blogger Ms. FootyNut to make the predictions for the Round of 16.

Uruguay v South Korea

Ms. FootyNut: This was really tough because South Korea beat some big names. However, Uruguay took their group without conceding a single goal. They beat South Africa on their home turf! I just feel like they are stronger at defense than South Korea. Uruguay to win.

FootyNut:
It's plain and simple for me, this World Cup is shaping up to be a display for South American teams. While Korea has had a somewhat of a surprising tournament (Asian teams have fared better than the African teams), I believe their luck runs out in the Round of 16. Uruguay will advance to the Quarter Finals.


USA
v Ghana

MF:
Ok, this prediction is about 50% desire, 50% logic. But I think our boys have done an outstanding job attacking (if only their goals are allowed!!), and Tim Howard is an amazing keeper! It's not going to be an easy win. Ghana was top of their group for a while, but they looked sluggish to me, like they lack self-esteem and they're ready to go home. USA to advance!

FN:
Throw me up on a gibbet and burn me in effigy, but I'm calling this one for Ghana. Although my faith in the massive home turf advantage the African teams would experience in South Africa failed me in my group match predictions, Ghana's U20 men's national team became the first African team to win a FIFA tournament on African soil when it defeated Brazil in last year's U20 World Cup. Expect a hard fought, but ultimately heartbreaking game for the Yanks.


Netherlands
v Slovakia

MF:
The Orange tide of the Netherlands just won their group so easily! Slovakia only barely beat Italy. I don't know if the Slovak's defense/goalkeeping combo is strong enough to stem the Dutch attack.

FN:
I agree with the Missus on this one. Slovakia's success in their group was - honestly - due less to their skill and more to the train wreck of an Italian team slowly but surely self destructing. The Netherlands will put on their requisite display of flash and substance on their way to the quarter-finals.


Brazil
v Chile

MF:
Well, I mean...what can you say? Brazil wins this one.Chile just isn't strong enough for this powerhouse. Brazil just seems unstoppable (and their fans insufferable ... but I digress).

FN:
Well, poor Chile. They've had an unlucky draw this cup. In any 2 out of 3 other groups Chile might have been drawn in, they would have won and been in a much more favorable position in the knock-outs. But as it sits, their dynamic performances weren't enough to hold stop Spain from topping the group and now have to face Brazil, a team they lost to twice in qualifying, with an aggregate score of 7-2. Brazil goes through.


Argentina
v Mexico

MF:
Mexico got through by the skin of their teeth. The beat France - which was easy given they are falling apart, and tied with South Africa who just weren't that strong this time around. Again, Argentina = obvious choice.

FN:
So if Messi is going to shine, now would be the time. However, it may be that - like his evil and much taller twin Cristiano Ronaldo - Messi's best role will be as an orchestrator for a stronger defense. And unlike Ronaldo, Messi has a wide selection of fellow, world class attackers to feed. Argentina wins.


Germany
v England

MF:
Again, more than 50% of this prediction is biased desire. This is not going to be an easy match. Germany have been excellent. England have not. I want to believe that the boys of the Three Lions will pull it together, start thinking and playing as a team, and start feeding Rooney some good passes! He knows how to find the back of the net, help him do it!! Rule, Britannia, England rule the game!

FN:
A star crossed lot this English team be. I'd love to see the Three Lions go through, but the Germans are a more cohesive unit who look threatening and ruthless in the final third. Germany will edge out England in this latest installment of World Soccer's greatest rivalries.


Paraguay
v Japan

MF:
I feel like Japan never expected to get through to the knockout rounds. They did well in their group but they're up against Paraguay who I abstractly view as another South American Powerhouse. Japan does have a chance though and could surprise me. I would welcome it actually, but I see Paraguay going through.

FN:
For an unengaged fan, this may be the most obscure match in the Round of 16. Japan has done nothing but exceed expectations and I think they will continue for just one more match. The Blue Samurai of Japan will make the quarter finals.


Spain
v Portugal

MF:
One word: Spain. I just don't like Ronaldo. Is that a good enough reason? But seriously, this was tough. I actually have no strong feelings about this decision. Spain were on top of their group (and European Champions in 2008), so why not, right?

FN:
Yeah, I'm still not convinced Spain will win it all, but I can say that Portugal and Ronaldo just won't be able to make enough of an impact against the savvy possession of Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso and Villa. The Spaniards might not win the tournament, but they'll win this one. Spain to win.


If you want to see how both Ms. FootyNut and I predict the rest of the World Cup to go - including all winners and losers down to the champions and third place teams - check out our dueling brackets.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stateside Soccer reserves the right to delete any comment the staff deems to be offensive, profane or the result of spamming. Comments on posts older than a week are subject to approval.