Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In Defense of Robbie Rogers


Alright, I'm a Columbus Crew fan. I was born and raised in the city. I had box seats for the opening of the Major League Soccer's first soccer specific stadium. So I would like to offer some defense of a player who did not make the final 23 man roster for the U.S.'s World Cup squad: Robbie Rogers.

Back in March, I named Rogers as one of the 10 Things to Watch this MLS Season and you know what? I'd do it again.

For all his faults, Rogers has an incredible amount of potential, potential he has been starting to realize this season. He's been criticized both in Columbus and in the national team camp for his poor decision making and over reliance on his speed. However, his handling, crossing and even long range shooting have noticeably improved since the beginning of the season.

Not to mention, players like Rogers are the future of American soccer: hard working, homegrown players plying their trade with successful teams in the MLS instead of sitting on the back bench in Europe. Rogers plays nearly every week for the Crew under the on-field tuteledge of one of Argentina's legends: Guillermo Barros Schelotto. With all of this going for him, it's hard to deny that if he continues on this path, I mean, really continues improving his game, he will inevitably have a place in the 2014 World Cup campaign, but it's just a shame he wasn't given a chance to rack up some more serious international experience this time around.

In the end, while I understand Bob Bradley's choice of DaMarcus Beasley as the left wing sub for the tournament, I have to question this 4-4-1-1 position in which Benny Feilhaber occupies the left wing with Carlos Bocanegra overlapping for service more often than not. I feel that Rogers' dynamic combination of speed and two-footed prowess would be a better option for a Beasley in the starting lineup.

But then again, I admitted I'm pretty biased.

What do you think? Should players like Rogers be given the benefit of the doubt? Be given the chance to be mentored at the international level? Or is it just tough shit?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stateside Soccer reserves the right to delete any comment the staff deems to be offensive, profane or the result of spamming. Comments on posts older than a week are subject to approval.