Sunday, May 23, 2010

What is "Success" for Soccer in the US?

photo: Columbus, Ohio International Visitors Council

With the fair-weather U.S. soccer frenzy that is the World Cup coming up in just over two weeks, a lot of dialogue will be focused on just how big soccer is in America. From soccer fanatics spreading the word about the global significance of the tournament to the debutante parties being declared for the American soccer fan, I find myself asking: "What's the endgame? What is "success" for the soccer movement in the United States?"

Is it soccer as the most popular sport in America?

Is it a 30 team MLS?

Is it an American media corps and public at large literate in the sport?

Is it a World Cup semi-final appearance by the US Men's National Team?

Or is it some obscure "respect" for the game?

Whatever it is, I think we need to be realistic with our expectations. Enough of this obsession with why Americans "don't like soccer." Enough with the "but it's so popular everywhere else!" And for God's sake, enough with trying to convince other fans that soccer is simply better than baseball, football, basketball or hockey.

The soccer landscape in the U.S. is going to be drastically different 15 years from now. But I'm unsure if we would count it as a "success" as meeting our halfheartedly defined objectives for what soccer "should be" in this country.

For my two cents, I count success as the day when I no longer have to explain why I love the sport to every person I meet at a bar.

What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stateside Soccer reserves the right to delete any comment the staff deems to be offensive, profane or the result of spamming. Comments on posts older than a week are subject to approval.